20061215

Illustration Friday: Help

click image for larger view

i considered doing a third comic book cover featuring Captain Might, but then i discovered they're repossessing my car today and felt inspired to do this instead.

having lived in a big city where homelessness is such a problem that they passed a law making it illegal to panhandle on the street corners, i'm fully aware of the seriousness of the homeless problem in this country. every day thousands of people lose their jobs, go hungry, and die on the streets without anyone ever giving them a second glance. we see them on a street corner with their hand out and ignore them, afraid they might mug us or, god forbid, look us in the eyes.

when i lived in dallas, driving home from work, i always kept spare change in my car.. usually not much but enough to get a "thank you" or a "god bless", occasionally all they would ask for was a cigarette and i would share if i had any. always keeping in mind the addage "there, but by the grace of God, go I".

so, even though this is a slightly tongue in cheek illustration it could also be a prophetic vision of my future. still, i think it's better to laugh in the face of adversity than to let it defeat you and get you down..


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jajajaaj :-D
very good illustration

12:12 PM  
Blogger pati said...

LOL! this is hilarious! I'll show it to my colleagues from college... they are going to appreciate it ;)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jeannetto said...

Yeah, i feel like that guy a lot.

<3jeannette

6:43 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Brilliant! I don't think you have to worry about being a starving artist!

12:11 AM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Bill, are you serious about losing your car? If so, that makes me sad. You have such awesome talent. I pray that God will especially being looking out for you the next couple of weeks, and that He might have some great plan in store for you. Hope that's not too weird for you. Blessings, Scott.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Part two... I've had about 4 months of nearly no work too, until about two weeks ago, when everything happened at once. It had been a very scary time.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Prax said...

Nice illy and very true, I think every artist has at one time felt like that guy.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Bill, I had my "invention" illustration printed up for Christmas...if you want to send me your address I'll send you a card. Send info to scott@scottcuzzo.com

Scott

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home