Illustration Friday: Buzz
I never enjoyed art history class in school, learning dates and names never appealed to me. it seemed unimportant at the time. knowing what terms like dada, bauhaus, and impressionism meant didn't rank high on my "need to know" list. still, what i thought was useless at the time has, over the years, turned out to be quite handy for trivia games, topics of conversation at parties and in chatrooms, and situations like this.

Andy Warhol (1928-1987), one of many great artists to define the Pop Art era from the 1950s up into the 1970s used non representational color with representational images to convey different sensations. possibly his most famous print being that of pop icon Marilyn Monroe.
without trying to copy Warhol's exact style, which was partially dictated by his choice to produce the images as serigraphs (silkscreen printing, which was horribly primitive at the time), I took another current day pop icon, Buzz Lightyear, and attempted to emulate the effect his style conveyed. this is the result.
as always thanks to everyone who commented last week, and to those stopping in for a visit this week. Happy New Year and have a groovy week.
Toe's Place



3 Comments:
What a brilliant idea! I got the Warhol homage instantly.
I'm currently in San Francisco for a work project, but have a few days preceeding the work to bum around. My hotel seems to be in art gallery central. I've saw some awesome artwork today! Plus I had the best clam chowder and sourdough bread! Those two things were meant to be together!
Blessings.
My first art history class was taught by the dept chair...Two tests...200+slides possible for each test and a whole lot of them weren't in the book, so there was a lot of rapid sketching...only 4 slides would be on the test and you may only get a detail from a work...had to know all of the relevant data (dates, locations, etc.) or your analysis was wrong even if it was right...7 art history classes later I learned to enjoy it and it really did help to broaden my horizons...
Cool!
Post a Comment
<< Home